Sunday, March 22, 2015

What’s good in being committed?


Are you a committed person?
Do you deliver what you promised?
I make commitments all the time. A commitment has to be met no matter what.
And I do have a confession to make. I, too, have made commitments that I regretted soon after committing.
But don’t get me wrong, I still delivered these commitments even if I felt regretful.
Why so?
Because this is what the numerous years of my professional practice taught me: what I feel doesn’t matter in comparison to the important responsibility my commitment holds.
There is something beautiful about being committed. (And I have met many committed people.) Committed people show characteristics that are worthy of emulation.
1. COMMITTED PEOPLE STAND ON HIGH MORAL GROUNDS.
Committed people exhibit dedication. Their main concern is the fulfillment of their commitments. As a result, they do not make excuses. They value reputation. They know that credibility is more valuable than money.
2. COMMITTED PEOPLE ARE GENERALLY HAPPY.
Many of them have gone through the same challenges ordinary people have. Some of them have experienced frustration and a lot more negative feelings yet they remain happy simply because they are firm or committed on their promises.
3. COMMITTED PEOLE ARE TRUSTWORTHY.
If they say they will get the job done, then they will get the job done. This makes them credible, dependable and reliable. Committed people are assets and highly appreciated by their leaders.
4. COMMITTED PEOPLE KNOW WHY THEY DO THINGS.
A. W. Tozer said, “It is not what a man does that determines whether his work is sacred or secular, it is why he does it.”
Motives matter. There are people who find good reasons to do wrong things. They are compromising ethical standards.
Committed people do things because they are clear on their motives and aware of the significance their actions have. 
Money is surely not the main motivation for these people but that doesn’t mean that they do not appreciate this.
When you ask committed people why they do what they do, you will get responses like these:
• “Well, it is the right thing to do…”
• “I would like to make a difference…”
• “I enjoy doing it…”
• “I was brought up this way…”
• “If I don’t do it, then nobody would…”
• “It’s just so rewarding…”
You rarely hear them say:
• “I do it so I can earn points…”
• “I like the recognition…”
• “I do it for an advantage over others...”
• “I had no choice…”
These are the words of a person forced to do things.
5. COMMITTED PEOPLE KNOW WHERE THEY ARE HEADING.
They are clear on what they want. Also, they are clear as to where they are heading. Take this for example: a person wants proper finance and health management, a successful marriage and a good family with very productive children, and so the person tends to become committed on how to achieve all these.
Committed people do not make excuses. They make disciplined efforts to stay on the course knowing that in due time they will get their desired results.
People who are committed will not say, “It’s complicated…” because they are clear on what they want and they will stick to it.
Be a person of commitment and start changing your life for the better.
You can connect with Francis Kong through Facebook at www.facebook.com/franciskong2 or listen to his program called “Business Matters” from Monday to Friday at 8 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. in 98.7 dzFE-FM ‘The Master’s Touch’, the classical music station.

No comments:

Post a Comment